London community comes out strong supporting 2SLGBTQ+ “No Space for Hate” counter-protest

Dozens of community members came out to support London’s 2SLGBTQ+ community in a counter-protest against the 1 Million March For Children protest at Victoria Park on Friday.

London’s counter-protest was one of over 30 held across Canada on Friday in response to nationwide protests against educational content about 2SLGBTQ+ communities and policies in schools — called the “1 Million March For Children” — held the same day. In London, the counter-protest event was dubbed the “No Space for Hate Counterprotest”.  

The counter-protest started at 9 a.m. at the northwestern entrance of Victoria Park while the greenspace surrounding the WW2 era tank monument named the “Holy Roller” was the hub for the 1 Million March for Children protest. By 10 a.m. upwards of 40 counter-protesters surrounded the opening gates to the park with some 20 protesters at the tank.

The counter-protest was a wave of Pride and trans Pride flags, music and bubbles. 

“I’m very happy with the turnout — we’ve got two to three times as many [people] as them.” said Leni S., a member of Queer Intersections, a local 2SLGBTQ+ community group which took the lead in organizing in response to the national queer community call-out for counter-protests, and coordinated with other London-based organizations to stand against the 1 Million March For Kids.

Other organizations came out to support including the Public Service Alliance of Canada union’s London regional office, who brought speakers, banners and flags. PSAC member Robert Adams responded to the union’s call to support the counter-protest and came with a PSAC-labelled trans Pride flag. 

“There’s just way too much pushback against people being able to live their lives,” said Adams, adding he feels it’s particularly important for labour movements and unions to come out to support the cause. “[Union] solidarity with the LGBTQ community and the broader progressive movement is really important for improving everyone’s lives.”

The first national 1 Million March For Children protest happened in September 2023. It was described by participants as a ‘parental rights’ protest, accusing schools of exposing young students to ‘gender ideology.’ In an interview with CTV news, organizers of the march said they were protesting “premature sexualization and potentially harmful indoctrination [of children]” in schools. These protests drew political backlash as well as national counter-protests from 2SLGBTQ+ communities and allies. In London, last year’s protest drew substantially larger crowds of approximately 1000 people from both sides.

A healthcare worker who wishes to be identified by the alias Dan attended the counter-protest as an ally. 

“I know young people who’d love to be here, but they’re really worried. They’re scared — they’re the people we’re doing this for,” she said. Dressed in bright colours and armed with a bubble machine and a first aid kit, Dan walked around the front entrance of the park blowing bubbles for children and ready to provide support for anyone in need.

Despite her uplifting presence, Dan expressed frustration with the risks of publicly advertising the counter-protest on social media. 

“I have a professional license and people can dox me and make my life difficult — I can’t even share the event well because of fear that they know where my family is.”

As the 1 Million March For Children protesters began to give speeches, they were drowned out by a drumming circle leading counter-protesters further into the park, forming a perimeter around where the protest was being held. The circle was joined by whistles and cheers from counter-protesters and passers-by. 

This year’s 1 Million March For Children comes after an increase in anti-trans rhetoric by Conservative Party of Canada leader Pierre Poilievre. Several participants at the counter-protest believe Poilievre encourages anti-2SLGBTQ+ groups to spread hate speech. He has stated that “female spaces should be exclusively for females, not for biological males.” Organizations such as Amnesty International Canada have called Poilievre’s comments an attempt to “scapegoat members of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community to score political points.”

Once the speakers for the protest finished around 11:30 a.m. and began their march along Central Street, the counterprotest followed with flags held high.

Community member Heenal Rajani, who came to the counter-protest with his two daughters, described the 1 Million March For Children protest as just a “handful of people with some Canada flags standing around looking pissed off.”

“I think that says a lot about which way the momentum is going, which way the tide is going,” he said. In contrast to the protesters, Rajani described the No Space for Hate counter-protesters as having high spirits, with music and singing. 

“I think it’s important for them to see that — love is more powerful than hate, that everyone is welcome, everyone belongs in this city, on this planet, and everyone should have the freedom to be who they are.”